Sabrina P. Ramet is an American-Norwegian academic, Professor Emerita at the Norwegian University of Science & Technology (NTNU). She earned her Ph.D. in Political Science at UCLA in 1981. She has conducted more than 400 research interviews in Germany, Austria, Hungary, Italy, Norway, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Serbia, Macedonia, and the United States. She is the author of 16 scholarly books, including Alternatives to Democracy in Twentieth-Century Europe: Collectivist Visions of Modernity (Central European University Press, 2019) and East Central Europe and Communism: Politics, Culture, and Society, 1943-1991 (Routledge, 2023). She is also the editor or co- editor of 39 books, including Central and Southeast European Politics since 1989, 2 nd ed. (Cambridge University Press, 2019). Vladimir Tismaneanu wrote of her: “Sabrina Ramet is one of the finest, most insightful analysts of East-Central European politics, societies, and cultures. Her historical knowledge matches her keen understanding of the intimate relations between ideas, institutions, and human behaviors.”
Sabrina P. Ramet major books include:
- Social Currents in Eastern Europe: The Sources and Consequences of the Great Transformation, 2nd ed. (Duke University Press, 1995).
- Balkan Babel: The Disintegration of Yugoslavia from the Death of Tito to the Fall of Milošević, 4th ed. (Westview Press, 2002 / Routledge, 2019).
- Published in Croatian translation under the title, Balkanski Babilon: Raspad Jugoslavije od Titove smrti do Miloševićeva pada (Zagreb: Alinea d. o. o., 2005)
- Nihil Obstat: Religion, Politics, and Social Change in East-Central Europe and Russia (Duke University Press, 1998).
- The Three Yugoslavias: State-Building and Legitimation, 1918-2005 (Indiana University Press & The Wilson Center Press, 2006).
- Croatian translation: Tri Jugoslavije: Izgradja države i izazov legitimacije, 1918.-2005. (Zagreb: Golden Marketing – Tehnička knjiga, September 2009), 812 pp.
- German translation: Die Drei Jugoslawien: Eine Geschichte der Staatsbildungen und ihre Probleme (Munich: R. Oldenbourg Verlag, 2011), 907 pp.
- Alternatives to Democracy in Twentieth-Century Europe: Collectivist visions of modernity (Central European University Press, 2019).
- Nonconformity, Dissent, Opposition, and Resistance in Germany, 1933-1990: The freedom to conform (Palgrave Macmillan, 2020).
- East Central Europe and Communism: Politics, Culture, and Society, 1943-1991 (Routledge, 2023).